Sunday 5 February 2012

What we ate: Saturday Night Steak Dinner

Being a full fledged carnivore, I eat my fair share of steaks.  I'm not really what you would call a 'steak and potatoes' guy (labels are so high school) but I do appreciate a nice slab of juicy beef here and there.  What I rarely do is eat steaks at a restaurant. I just wouldn't typically go out for a steak.  Why? Because honestly, most of the time the experience is underwhelming.  Don't get me wrong, there are many good steak restaurants in Toronto but the really good ones are on the expensive side and most of the other places for steak, are again, underwhelming.  Places like the The Keg isn't that bad but they aren't that good either.  So once in awhile I will get a treat and go to a fine steakhouse, but most of the time, I prefer to buy a really beautiful steak and do it right myself.  You gotta remember, a good steak starts with the meat itself.  There shouldn't be a lot of fussing around.  Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate a beurre monte bath for a nice piece of steak resting to temperature, but we can't go with a butter poached steak everyday.  That being said, we decided Saturday night would be steak night and this time we are having a nice filet mignon.  My favorite cut is the bone-in rib steak but filet was on special so that's what we're having.  We also decided this would be a no starch night so we have 3 side non-carb side dishes to accompany our steak dinner.


The Steak:

Splurge a little and buy a nice cut of steak. The higher the grade, the more marbling you will find, which will give you a tastier and juicier steak.  Don't cook a steak straight from the refrigerator.  Let it rest to room temperature, this will give it a nice even cook.  I try and take it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before I'm set to cook it and let it rest to room temperature. Just before I cook it, I will brush it with olive oil and season with fresh cracked pepper and salt.  I usually use this alderwood smoked sea salt because I like the smokey flavor it imparts, but kosher salt will work just fine.  Try to stay away from table salt - its too salty and lacks real flavor.  Since I'm in a condo, I cook my steak in my cast iron skillet.  Use a BBQ if you have it or any heavy bottom skillet will do.  Steaks should not be flipped over and over again.  It should cook on one side and flipped once to cook on the other side.  I had a couple of 8 ounce filets that were about an inch thick.  I like mine medium-rare.  For that, I had my skillet on medium high and cooked the steak 3 1/2 minutes on each side.  I take it off the heat and top it with a small piece of butter, tent it and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.  Resting the meat is important as it allows the fibres of the steak to relax and all the juices to redistribute through the steak rather than leech out if you cut it right away.

The 3 sides we had with dinner tonight were Brussel Sprouts sauteed with bacon, Sauteed portabello mushrooms and maple balsamic glazed beets with goat cheese.


Brussel Sprouts:
Trim brussel sprouts (about 10-12) and cut in half
Finely chop 1 clove of garlic
3 strips of bacon chopped


Blanch brussel sprouts in salted water for 2 minutes and drain
Brown bacon in saute pan at medium heat until golden brown but not crispy or burnt - add chopped garlic
Add brussel sprouts into pan with a tablespoon of water and toss
Let cook for about 2 minutes, season with pepper (it will be salty already from bacon and blanching)
Keep warm until ready to serve.

Sauteed Portabello Mushroom
4 portabello mushroom cut into half and then sliced
Finely chop 1 clove of garlic
1/4 of red wine
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter (optional)

Heat skillet to medium-high heat
Add olive oil and garlic and let saute for 10 seconds, careful not to burn garlic
Add mushrooms and toss and sautee for 1 minute
Add red wine to de-glaze pan and toss - cook for 5 minutes until mushroom is soft and tender
finish with tablespoon of butter (optional), season with salt and pepper

Maple Balsamic Glazed Beets with Goat Cheese
This is one of my favorite side dishes of all time.  I love beets and I like them like this warm or cold.  This take some time so make in advance.

3 small/medium sized beets
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
1tablespoon maple syrup
olive oil
salt and pepper
Soft goat cheese

Wash beets and place in foil lined baking sheet - drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and bake in 375 degree oven for 60 minutes then let beets cool.
Peel and slice beets into half disc slices (or however you want to cut them).
Melt tablespoon of butter in a pan at medium-high heat
Add beats to butter, toss and add maple syrup and balsamic vineger
Let beets cook for about 5 minutes - you should see a nice glaze form over the beats
Season with salt and pepper
Let beets cool down for 10 minutes (you want to serve it warm, not hot. its also good cold)
Top with small pieces of soft ripened goat cheese.


It was a fantastic steak dinner in the comfort of my home while we watched the Leafs lay a beating on Ottawa.  Oh so gratifying in so many ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment